The Goddess of Mercy Temple in George Town, Penang is fondly known among the locals as ‘Kuan Yin Teng’ in the Hokkien dialect. It is one of the oldest Chinese temples in Penang and was built in 1728 by Chinese settlers boasting Hokkien and Cantonese architecture.
Located at the intersection where China Street meets Jalan Kapitan Keling (formerly known as Pitt Street), The Goddess of Mercy Temple is always incredibly active throughout the opening hours from as early as 6 am and as late as 8 pm.
The original name of this temple is Kong Hock Keong Temple which literally means ‘The Temple for Cantonese and Hokkien’, referring to the major ethnics of the early Chinese settlers in Penang. At the beginning, this temple was constructed in dedication to Mar Chor Po, a patron deity that protects seafarers and Goddess of Mercy. During the 19th century, most people were depending on the sea as the source of their economic income, thus they prayed for prosperity and safety from any sea spirits. As time evolved, it turned out be more popularly known as Goddess of Mercy as this temple had provided shelter to Penangites during WWII.
This photograph was taken on 1st July 2012