Labin is a small town, population about 7,000, on the Istria Peninsula, Croatia. Labin developed from the site of the Roman settlement of Albona. From 1295 it was under the rule of the dukes of Pazin, and from 1381 it found itself under the juristiction of the Patriarchate of Aquileia. From 1420 until 1797 it was ruled from Venice and after that belonged to Austria. Labin, as a Croatian-speaking town, was for a long time the centre of Croatia’s largest coal mining district, with four mines operating at the height of its production. In March and April 1921, the town was the scene of a miners’ strike which quickly grew into an anti-fascist rebellion, considered to be the first of its kind, and the declaration of the short-lived Albona Republic. The mine in downtown Albona closed in the 1950s, while the last mine was closed down in 1989. The large, coal-fired power plant in nearby Fianona now has its coal imported from outside sources once the mines were closed.
Photograph taken with Nikon D100 & 24-70mm lens at 35mm on 24th May 2006