The Old Slovak National Theatre, Slovenské Národné Divadlo, is the oldest professional theatre consisting of three ensembles; opera, ballet and drama. The Neo-Renaissance Slovak National Theatre, is in Hviezdoslav Square, Bratislava was built in 1885–1886 based on a design by the Viennese architects Fellner & Helmer, who designed theatre buildings in 10 European countries. It was opened as the City Theatre on September 22, 1886 with the opera Bánk bán of Ferenc Erkel, which is one of the most important Hungarian operas. As a sign of this event’s importance Kálmán Tisza, the Hungarian Prime Minister and his all government, Mór Jókai took part in this ceremony. The gala performance was conducted by Ferenc Erkel himself. The original building was designed for 1000 spectators and was illuminated using 800 gas lamps, while the auditorium had a lustre with 64 lights. The interior was decorated, with frescos by Pressburg, a native painter Kornél Spányik and there are paintings by the Munich artist Leo Lüttgendorf-Leinburg, among others. The City Theatre was hired by German and Hungarian professional theatre companies, but beginning in 1919 (at the creation of Czechoslovakia), it was used by the Czech and later the Slovak ensembles. In 1920 it became the Slovak National Theatre. The new Slovak National Theatre is a large modern theatre building in Bratislava near the Danube, which opened on 14 April 2007.
Photograph taken with Nikon D100 & 12-24mm lens at 24mm on 26th May 2006