Piran is a small town, population just over 4,000, in the Municipality of Piran in southwestern Slovenia on the Gulf of Piran on the Adriatic Sea. It is one of the three major towns of Slovenian Istria. The town has much medieval architecture, with narrow streets and compact houses. Piran is the administrative centre of the local area and one of Slovenia’s major tourist attractions. Until the mid-twentieth-century Italian was the dominant language, but was replaced by Slovene as populations moved. On a narrow street in the medieval nucleus of the town, opposite the Minorite Monastery one can almost overlook the frontage of this smaller church from the year 1404. Behind the entrance hides a former private chapel with a nave with a pointed vault and a narrower later rebuilt presbytery, separated by a triumphal arch with a pointed arch. The altar is from the 17th century. In the nave with later windows, there are stone benches by the walls and at the sides hang several paintings. On the triumphal arch wall there are two paintings depicting the Annunciation (1500) on both sides below the arch, and above them is a composed wooden image of the Crucifixion (around 1460) in tempera technique. There are almost no similar preserved paintings in Slovenia. Later, oil paintings with Biblical images of Mary and Old Testament stories were hung in the same place, which were replaced when older images were found. Above the entrance hangs a painting of St. Mary of the Snows (17th century) with a scene of the miracle of August snow in Rome hence the name of the church.
Photograph taken with Nikon D90 & 10-24mm lens at 16mm on 23rd November 2011